Friday 24 December 2010

Locavores

A few weeks ago I visited Saint Paul, Minnesota, one of the coldest places in the USA. Saint Paul is a bit of a sleepy town, but there are some streets that feel like something is going on. My favorite is Grand Avenue. Rich in local history and charm, this long avenue spans 30 blocks filled with old homes, small shops and restaurants.
Walking down Grand, I stumbled over the  Golden Fig Fine Foods, a shop "making locavores happy since 2006". Did I miss something ? What is a locavore?
Laurie McCann Crowell the owner of the Golden Fig explained it to me.  Locavores are people who are interested in eating food that is locally produced and has not been transported over long distances to market.
The word "locavore" was voted word of the year for 2007 in the Oxford American Dictionary

Conclusion, I did miss this one. Watch this video from 2008 !!!

- Locavores in Deutschland
- Les Locavores en France

Happy Holidays and my Best Wishes for 2011.

1 comment:

  1. Leuk verhaal speciaal voor het onbekende woord Locavore. Is nu duidelijk.
    Leo Visser

    ReplyDelete